Monday, April 25, 2011

Go plant some veggies!

Ever since we started raising chickens I've been thinking more about the food that we produce, consume, and the energy we put back into it.  I used to just believe that we grew fruit and veggies, consumed them and put the energy from that food back into the garden by tending to it.  A few years back we added a compost bin which added another element to the cycle of energy. 
Now that we have chickens I decided to put the energy cycle into a graphic diagram.  I sketched this the other night while watching Ratatouille with Brookie.  I had a hard time deciding which element to put at the center of the diagram, but finally settled on the vegetable garden.  The only portion I found difficult to represent graphically was the energy that the food gives to us and the chickens and how we put it back into the garden. 
I hope that this is food for thought for everyone and maybe it will inspire more chicken raising, composting and gardening especially now at garden planting time. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy -

    I came across your beautiful diagram while searching google for compost images. I am hosting a 1 hour composting class in my studio to get people from my houseboat community into the composting groove (Marin is finally composting on the docks). I was wondering if I could use your drawing in an email invite announcing the class. I can email you a sample design. You can reach me at juliekahn@mac.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete