Sunday, April 10, 2011

Free Ranging!

The beautiful sunny weather allowed us to head outside for a walk with the chickens in the backyard on Saturday.  It was the first time they all got to go out and see the big wide world.
They had their beaks in the grass most of the time.
It amazed me how at home they looked.  They knew what they were supposed to be doing.  These girls have spent their entire 3-4 week lives in a box under a heat lamp in the house, yet I saw Rosie snap her beak at fly as it passed her line of site.
Soledad the cat had her eyes on them the whole time.  She played tiger-in-the-grass and at one point pounced toward the chicks.  I yelled "NO!" and she backed off.  Once the chickens are big enough, the cats will no longer be a threat, but for now, I'm keeping a close eye on their interations.
My favorite part about watching them outdoors was that they stuck together in a flock the whole time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment